Thursday, April 2, 2009

Crochet Pledge Progress - Day One - Part One

I've had to catch up on some paperwork earlier this week, so I didn't get to fulfilling the actual teaching of the skill part of my pledge just yet. However, I'm going to be teaching two students now. My oldest daughter, Deborah (12), has decided that she wants to learn how to knit (I already taught her how to crochet when she was 8). This is going to be one fun fiber week for me :)

Rachel has already decided on a project for her crochet lessons - she wants to make a snuggle pillow for her younger brother, Zach, in time for his 4th birthday (shhhh now, it's a secret). I think a snuggle pillow is a great choice for a beginner - you only need to have two squares made, and because it's purpose is for snuggling, a pillow form isn't required - it just needs to be stuffed with fiber fill to give it nice "squishability".

We've determined Zach's favourite colours by sneakily asking him which ones he likes best during a lunch time conversation. Blue is his number one, followed by green & orange. I have in my stash a huge bag of blue superwash wool that's a worsted weight (4 - medium, if you go by the standard yarn weight system). We'll be using a 6.00 mm crochet hook to work it up with. If Rachel is suitably comfortable after learning single crochet, I may teach her how to do some simple colour changes so that we can incorporate some of the green & orange into the pillow.

I'll be back later with Deborah's choice & how we've progressed

No comments:

Post a Comment