Monday, August 17, 2009

Knitting Pledge After-Effects

My DD Deborah had a friend over this past Sunday afternoon, Brianna. The original plan was to bake a large batch of sugar cookies, but I had no butter or margarine in the house, and our small town doesn't have a store open on Sundays. While thinking of something else to do, Deb showed Brianna the knitted scarf that she has been working on. I asked Brianna if she knits (no, but she crochets, so I asked if she wanted to learn (Yes!). You can be sure that I was more than happy to teach her right then & there :)

We were all sitting in the living room: Deb, her friend Brianna, my other DD Rachel and me - all of us knitting & crocheting away quite happily. Then, Deb pipes up & tells me that she has been teaching the two older boys from the Kerr family how to crochet. I told her that it was great that she was doing that & as Deb didn't say anything else, I didn't think much more of it.

Soon Brianna's mom came to take her home & she eagerly showed off the beginnings of the dishcloth she was making. Mom thought it was great, gave a thoughtful look, then asked me if I knew how to join afghan squares together. Apparently Brianna, mom & a few of her siblings had crocheted some squares to make an afghan, but having done them without a pattern, were clueless about how to assemble it. Again, I was more than happy to offer my services :) Next thing I knew, Deb is piping up again that, "We should have a kind of knitting & crochet bee. Then we could have your family & the Kerrs & us get together & work on projects together!"

I'm so glad that I took the knitting & crochet pledge a few months ago - it looks like it is having a ripple affect through the neigbourhood now - Long live the Needle Arts!

No comments:

Post a Comment