Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Sasktel Saga

Didn't get to the denim tote like I had hoped - Ben's friends came earlier than I expected, & he had two instead of one - making a total of 6 rowdy boys in our little house on the prairies! Couldn't get much done, much less get any quiet around here, but that's ok - a good time was had by all :)

Just before they left, I found out that my VOIP service was cancelled, leaving me wiht no phone. Apparently the major phone company, Sasktel, has eliminated all competition in the province in the land line biz by making it mandatory that all phone lines are routed through them & anybody leasing their phone numbers for resale (as a VOIP company would have to do), now has to use Sasktel's infrastructure too. This jacked up the prices for the VOIP & other companies like it, effectively making it impossible for them to compete, and Sasktel has completely monopolized this service. I'm pretty sure that this is illegal on Sasktel's part, but it's likely they'll get away with it - they have the money & power to win any lawsuits against them - not to mention that they are a Crown Corporation (owned by the government, but still run like a private business), which in Canada means that they are virtually above the law. Shame on you Sasktel - shame! :(

So I need to go pester my neighbours to borrow their phone & call my DH at work to see if he wants to go with Skype & have the hassle of our phone number being long distance to all our friends. Or break down & be owned by Goliath. Anyone know a David? Think I'll be getting a lot of stress relief crocheting done this week .

No comments:

Post a Comment