Saturday, October 4, 2008

First FO in a long time...

...and I finished it in less than an hour! It wasn't much of a project - just a little something to keep my youngest son busy.

Nathan, for reasons unknown to genetic scientists, loves cleaning around the house. He is only one year of age, and has a particular interest in stealing the mop and swishing it all over the kitchen floor. This would normally be encouraged, because nobody else here in our house really wants to take up this task, but he's a little dangerous with it - often clobbering unsuspecting victims in the back of their heads with the handle when they are seated at the dinner table.

So I created his own personal mop from an old chair leg (sawed off & sand-papered smooth) and crocheted a nice little mop head onto it from some polyester novelty yarn that I had hiding in my closet.

The polyester yarn is horrible to work with on it's own, so I mixed it with some spare Bernat Handcrafter's cotton to stabilize it.


I started by crocheting a chain around the knob and forming it into a ring. (Hand modeled by my lovely DD Deborah)


Next, it's just a matter of crocheting a long chain and slip stitching back into the base of the ring. I made chains of 30 stitches in length.


Halfway there



Ring is now filled, just flip over and...



....Nathan's mini mop is ready to go.






The smile on his face says it all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment